Halloween at Muir will occur on October 31 and will begin after the lunch hours conclude. Due to various allergies present in our classrooms, we would once again ask that you please refrain from sending any treats to school for your child to pass out to his/her classmates. Teachers will oversee the distribution of a class treat and it will be provided by the classroom teacher or a room parent and will be a pre-packed item. Students with food allergies would need to bring a treat from home to ensure it is appropriate for their diet. Muir staff is not allowed to make these determinations. No other treats will be shared during our class parties.
In the afternoon, students who choose to dress in school appropriate costumes for Halloween will be able to put on their costume. Students will need to be able to do this independently. Students should not be signed-out and miss instructional time for the purposes of dressing in elaborate costumes. In order to ensure the safety of all of our students, we will be using the following guidelines for our school celebration.
In choosing an appropriate costume for your child, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Students are able to change into their costumes in a short time and by themselves
- It would be helpful for students to put their costumes on over a shirt and pair of shorts or something similar that they wear to school
- Keep make-up to a minimum (there is only a short time given to students to get into costumes, so save the best for trick-or-treating)
- No one may wear make-up or costumes to school in the morning (Kindergarten students are the exception)
- No costumes depicting excessive violence (no fake blood/guts please)
- No weapons of any kind (squirt guns, plastic swords, etc.)
- Students should not bring hairspray to school
- Be certain that your child can see through his/her mask
- Class parties will begin at 1:30 (12:30 for 3rd grade due to their lunch hour)
- If the weather allows, at 2:00 our kindergarten through third grade students will parade in front and around school. Fourth through sixth grade students will participate in extended class parties.
- At the conclusion of the parade, our kindergarten through third grade students will continue to participate in class parties.
Teachers will be overseeing the class parties so we ask that parents wishing to assist with the party make arrangements prior to October 31. If you are volunteering in a classroom, you need to sign-in at the office. Only those on the volunteer list in the main office will be allowed to help at the party. Our teachers will communicate details to the main office for sign-in organization.